See the steps to make a beautiful magnolia wreath from freshly lower Magnolia Grandiflora leaves and incense cedar for perfume. This engaging wreath works nicely for fall and thru the vacations because of the wealthy, rusty brown indumentum on the underside of the magnolia leaves. When made with wire, this wreath will final nicely all through the autumn and winter months, and burnish to a beautiful copper color because it ages.
I really like experimenting with totally different wreaths, however one in all my favorite vegetation to work with is Magnolia Grandiflora due to the beautiful, long-lasting foliage. I couldn’t be happier with how this one turned out! The shiny leaves with textured undersides create an fascinating distinction that appears distinctive and attention-grabbing whereas nonetheless sustaining the traditional pure look of a recent wreath. I’ve made many wreaths with recent magnolia leaves, and the age to a coppery brown color that makes the wreath much more charming.
Magnolias have an fascinating botanical attribute known as indumentum, which is a layer of trichomes or small bushy trying bristles masking an space of a plant (within the case of magnolias, it’s on the underside of the leaves). Indumentum works to guard vegetation from bugs and assist to manage water absorption and solar harm.
Whereas many magnolias are prized within the spring for his or her scented blooms, Magnolia Grandiflora is thought for its foliage. It has engaging, darkish inexperienced leaves with a rusty brown colour peeking out from beneath. The shiny inexperienced of the leaves can be engaging sufficient by itself, however the underside of every leaf is usually lined with a thick brown or rust coloured indumentum which creates a textural high quality that appears like velvet.
The leaves don’t have that heavenly perfume, so I added some incense ceder in my wreath to up the scent. I do love the freshness that comes from evergreen wreaths held on my door and incense cedar packs a punch (as you may think about from it’s title).
The best way to Make a Contemporary Magnolia Wreath
- Magnolia Grandiflora branches with leaves intact
- Wire wreath type
- Florist paddle wire
- Incense cedar, juniper berry branches, or seeded eucalyptus (optionally available)
- To start, you have to a wire wreath type. Collect your magnolia clippings in small bundles earlier than securing them to the wreath.
- Wrap every bundle across the wreath type with wire, overlapping them in order that the stems are lined by the leaves of the following bundle. To see detailed directions for attaching your bundles, head over to my tutorial on the best way to make an evergreen wreath.
- I exploit twine for many wreaths which are tossed within the compost after the vacations as a result of it’s compostable. However for a wreath that can final many months and even years, I exploit paddle wire.
- You need to use a set of needle nostril pliers to tighten the paddle wire because the branches dry out and shrink. Simply flip the wreath over and gently twist the wire to tighten the maintain on the branches.
- It’s not obligatory so as to add something apart from magnolia leaves to the wreath, though a number of branches of incense cedar, juniper berry branches, or seeded eucalyptus can add somewhat further curiosity. I made a decision that my plain magnolia wreath wanted somewhat jazzing up.
I really like the way in which this incense cedar seems with the magnolia, plus it has a beautiful perfume, so I added some to my wreath in between the magnolia leaves.
Now it’s good!
Caring for a Contemporary Magnolia Wreath So it Lasts!
In most areas, the wreath ought to final for a number of months and look freshly crafted. Over time, the inexperienced leaves will fade to brown however the indumentum will keep the identical colour. The leaves will change into extra brittle because the wreath ages, so wipe it gently with a delicate material to wash with out breaking the leaves.
Magnolia Varieties to Craft With
Listed here are a number of various kinds of magnolia that produce beautiful foliage. If you’re pondering of including a magnolia to your backyard, one in all these will likely be simply the factor—even if you happen to solely have area for a container backyard! An enormous thanks to my associates at Monrovia who sponsored this submit, supplied these beautiful images, and allowed me to share among the styles of magnolia that will work nicely for my mission.
Most In style Magnolias for Reducing Materials:
Bracken’s Brown Magnificence Magnolia has shiny inexperienced shiny leaves with a light brown underside. Hardy in Zones 5-9.
D.D. Blanchard Southern Magnolia has giant, very darkish inexperienced shiny leaves with a shiny, rust-colored underside. Hardy in Zones 7-9.
Kay Parris Magnolia has a lot smaller leaves than the 2 listed above. The leaves are shiny inexperienced and shiny, with a velvety underside and wavy edges that create an fascinating form. Hardy in Zones 6-9.
Finest Magnolias for a Small Areas:
If you wish to develop a magnolia however don’t have a whole lot of further room, the Little Gem Dwarf Southern Magnolia is for you! It’s bred particularly for container gardening, so you may get the great thing about a magnolia with no matter area limits you will have. Hardy in Zones 7-9.
Teddy Bear Southern Magnolia can be a small area dream due to its upright behavior. The shiny, deep inexperienced leaves have a heavy reddish-brown felt beneath and within the heat months, there are giant 6- to 8-inch aromatic white flowers to get pleasure from. Hardy in Zones 7-9.
Most Dramatic Magnolia Foliage:
For a very gorgeous show, take a look at the Alta Southern Magnolia. Its shiny leaves are such a darkish inexperienced that they appear nearly black, which contrasts superbly with the rusty undersides. Hardy in Zones 6-10.
For Even Extra Wreath-Making Suggestions, See These Initiatives: